This post provides a general explanation on Lasting Power of Attorney. If you have any specific questions concerning Lasting Power of Attorney, please contact the consultant assisting you.

There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney. One can help a person with their Property & Financial Affairs and the other their Health & Welfare. The person must agree to this when they have mental capacity (Part 1) and before the Power of Attorney can be used it must be registered (Part 2).

There is a small difference between the two. An attorney can help a person with their Property & Financial Affairs even if that person still has mental capacity, however with Health & Welfare they can only act if the person has lost mental capacity.

Below is a list of the ways in which an attorney can assist another.

Property and financial affairs

·         opening, closing and using bank or building society accounts

·         claiming, receiving and using benefits, pensions and allowances

·         paying household and other bills

·         buying and selling houses and other property

Health and welfare

·         giving or refusing consent to particular types of health care, including medical treatment

·         help in staying at home and getting support from social services

·         decisions on residential care and finding a good care home

·         day-to-day matters such as diet, dress or daily routine

Our fee to complete each document is £120 inc. If you also wish to register the document at this stage the government charge a fee of £82 for each document. However if you are in receipt of a passport benefit, or on a low income, we can apply for an exemption from the government fees on your behalf.